Traveling the Modern Times

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Kale and Collards and Eggplant Oh MY!!

I am writing you this from a true state of bliss. So I want to start at the beginning of the journey, HyVee in Sioux Falls, SD. I walked in intent on buying some great organic produce and thoroughly enjoyed squeezing and eyeing many different options as I picked up my fruit, zucchini, eggplant, kale, collards, gr onions and a mixture of peppers. I felt fantastic when I got home. Although, to tell you the truth I LOVE vegetables and actually miss the wide selection I used to have in Minneapolis. So fairly stated I am a crazed vegetable lover and usually am ecstatic to come home with a pile of fresh organic goodness. But, this time was different and I could feel it. There was a buzz to the air, a sweet hum to the way my body slid through the particles of air around me. Even my cells were on high alert as I scanned the table of vibrant greens, purple, yellow, red and blue.

I enjoyed fruit and yogurt for breakfast, right after my Healthiest Lifestyle tea, and did feel good, but I knew more was to come. So I continued with good breakfasts but honestly don't eat supper very often so I could only daydream about my zucchini and kale for a couple of days. Which is of course an usual altered state of consciousness that I enjoy slipping into from time to time. But I knew that the night would come when I could finally open the World's Healthiest Foods and try out my new found knowledge of cooking. And then it happened, I was hungry and it was supper time! Alright!

So I grabbed the book, opened it to the kale page and followed the instructions I found there. I began by cutting the kale and letting it sit, with a little lemon juice mixed in, for almost 10 minutes. This is the first thing you want to do because the enzymes in kale are released when you cut the tough membrane around the stem and they begin to breakdown the harder, more fibrous fabric of the kale leaf. After that I cut the garlic and also let that sit for 5 minutes to begin the enzyme breakdown and release the powerful antioxidants held there. Next I put the steamer water on high and waited for the water to boil while gathering my lemon juice, olive oil, fresh pepper, and the bowl to put them in. Well, the water boiled, the kale went in for 5 minutes and then wallah!.. There it was, in the bowl, fresh steamed kale with the garlic and the other ingredients mixed in. And I can not describe that first bite as anything but absolutely mind blowing! It was incredible.. and I mean WOW! I could barely keep the fireworks inside my mouth to let go of the kale so my stomach could try it out. Ok, just kidding but it was seriously that good!

And then tonight I decided to try cooking chinese eggplant and you could've geussed how good it was! It again, blew my mind! I sliced into half inch thick slices and added to a fry pan of 3 tablespoons vegetable broth, steamed it with the lid on for four minutes, and then added 3 more tablespoons of broth and sauted the eggplant for another 3 minutes. I also sauted red peppers in the pan with the eggplant the whole process too. I had a 'What About Bob' "Mmm,MMm, MMM!" moment while eating this! Though I can give you some hints, such as, keep the eggplant in the broth while you cook it and also make the slices a little shy of 1/2 inch to really get the delicious 'meaty' flavor that totally rocks the table! OK, so my incredible adventure with food is over for now, but believe me... There will be more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment